Your employer just informed you that your employment is being terminated and handed you a separation agreement to review. What do you do? The simple answer is, hire an experienced employment attorney. Here’s what your lawyer should do:
1. Review the agreement to determine whether it complies with the law.
2. Evaluate your potential claims. This includes at the very least your contractual claims, discrimination claims and wage and hour claims.
3. Discuss your job prospects and financial situation.
4. Explain your post-termination rights and obligations, including COBRA, unemployment compensation, restrictive covenants, etc.
5. Explain your options and begin a dialogue about whether or not to sign the separation agreement, decline to sign it, or attempt to negotiate more favorable terms.